Life's Ups and Downs; Enjoy It.

 Two years ago in March 2024, Takerufuji won the March Basho. he was celebrated because he was the first rookie to do so in over a 100 years. It looked like a huge deal. I guess it was since it had not been done in that long time. There were lots of talks about the promising future that lay ahead of Takerufuji. It looked like he was on his way to Sanyaku soon. 

                                             Image courtesy: Kyodo News

That was then. 

Now, Takerufuji is in Juryo and has been there for sometime now. He was out with an injury and got back. The thing with Sumo is that when you are out, you fall down the ranks. I was expectig him to return to the top division but he's been there for sometime so occasionally, I would look to see how he's doing. 

Today is Day 10 of the Haru Basho (although this may get published later) and I looked up the scores in Juryo. I was surprised to not see Takerufuji on the leader board so I looked further and he has a 4-6 record. I guess I expected better from him but then again, I wonder if he healed fully before coming back. 

Life is interesting, isn't it? One moment, you are being carried and hailed as the next big thing, the next time, it seems you have been forgotten and all eyes are on those who are the new "next big thing". 

I think Sumo made if very obvious because you have people who are "former Ozeki" still fighting as rank and file Maegashira. Asanoyama was out due to an injury and had to climb back up. He finally made his way back to the top division back in January. These are guys who reached the second topmost rank, enjoyed it for sometime and fell back to the ranks. The good thing is that most of them are still in the top division. They may have different ranks on the Banzuke but they are still there which tells me they are doing their best. There are about 600 sumo wrestlers and only 42 in the top division.  

We see this in life in general where you have someone at the top of whatever field they are in being hailed as the next big thing. Some do become the next big thing. Others fall off quickly and we don't see them again and some fall off and make the return back to the top and the second glory seems to be better than the first. The world is quick to celebrate and sometimes quick to forget you. Out of sight, out of mind sometimes seems to be reflected in this phenomenon. The one who comes is soon forgotten and the next one is also forgotten just like the previous. Does this mean you don't enjoy the glory and spotlight? I think it means you enjoy it while you are in it and when you are not, you realize that's life and enjoy where you are in the moment. 

The book of Ecclesiastes has a good take on this. This isn't new. Generations come and generations go. At some point, bell bottoms were in and at another point, it was daisy dukes. 

History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new. Sometimes people say, “Here is something new!” But actually it is old; nothing is ever truly new. We don’t remember what happened in the past, and in future generations, no one will remember what we are doing now.

A good number of the people in Juryo have been in the top division over the past couple of years. There were two new rookies this Haru Basho. I don't think it's wise to sit and lament over where you have been or your past glory. I think we can learn from these men and do our best no matter where we are. I feel like they give it their all. Do your best to live at each point.

Life is like a swing; it's got its ups and downs. Whichever part you find yourself at this moment, learn to enjoy it, even if it's at a low point. Because time changes and soon, you will find yourself at another point. What's important is that we live doing your best and enjoy life regardless of where were are. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lessons From Sumo (大相撲)

People Can't Stand a Taste of Their Own Medicine